the TLDR about CoderDojo Sunshine Coast
Registration - Requirements and Rules
- Ages 7 to 17 (or grade 1 to 12)
- Everyone must register per term via eventbrite prior to attending (this includes mentors)
- Bring your own laptop
- Regarding parental supervision our rule is "if they're [the ninja[ cool, we're cool"
- For ninja's under 13 we advice parents are nearby, thankfully we are lucky enough that our venues provide a great deal of safety.
- No food to be eaten in the venue unless provided by the venue
- One rule = Be cool.
- We have a zero tolerence policy on bullying.
- If we feel any ninja or parent is behaving in a manner that is disruptive or we deem not appropriate for our dojo, they will be told to leave.
Suggested Equipment and Software
At CoderDojo we don't really have many requirements for equipment and software, but the below usually helps.
A laptop that meets the below criteria:
- Works at home
- Clean screen
- WIFI works
- Some hard drive space if you need to download exercise files, or installers.
Please create a login before attending class at: Scratch (Join Scratch)
We usually prefer that you work off the browser based Scratch application, but you also have the option of downloading an offline version at: Scratch Downloads
Text Editor (IDE)
While both Windows and Mac OSX have text editors, it is usually better to have a full featured text editor that shows syntax highlighting and can handle non-printable characters like tabs and newlines.
There are loads of these available, please ask your mentors for best tool for the job to suit your purposes.